Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wily Wednesdays - Metal Nostalgia

(Okay, my original post for Wednesday was deleted in the recent Blogger snafu, so here goes a second time...)

As always, May and June prove to be the busiest months of the year, and 2011 is no different, except that it's notably busier than usual. So this week is another blast from the past, metal style. Boy this makes me miss the days when I was still in school and had resources like kilns and propane torches and metal-working supplies all at my disposal. Here are a few highlights from previous classes. Apologies for the sub-par photos -- I'm not a good jewelry photographer, and I no longer have the first two original pieces with me.


Enamel Dragon Head

This was my first real attempt at cloisonné. Fun project, even if it was a little ambitious for a beginner. You can see from the rough draft that I had some big ideas for how detailed to make it, and that was scaling it down (and here are the rough drafts of other designs I was contemplating). I made this in a college jewelry and metal-working class. Of course I complicated things by choosing a concave circular brass piece for the base instead of a flat one, which made cutting, shaping, and adhering the little metal strips of the outline a special kind of torture. Still, I was quite proud of the result (and haven't forgiven myself for leaving it behind in Ohio).

Brass Design

A design and soldering project in the same college course. I guess this would've been the first time I used solder for something other than a circuit board. :P

Pewter Keychain

This is from a high school class. I made a design, etched it in plaster, and poured pewter into the mold.

2 comments:

  1. Cool stuff. Let's get a metal shop somewhere and get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And I know you could teach me a thing or two about welding. We need a sponsor!

    ReplyDelete