Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wily Wednesdays - Slinky Dinks

It's Shrinky Dink time! Who remembers these ridiculous things?

Okay, I admit it -- I've wanted to execute this silly little idea for months, and I finally got around to doing it last week. I couldn't wait to make a Shrinky Dink of our cat Slinky, but unfortunately things didn't turn out so well.

It started off great. I sketched a picture of a black cat in permanent marker, filling almost the entire sheet of plastic. Of course I spent more time on this than I intended, but what the hey? Nothing like some good ol' nostalgic family fun. Um, minus the family, I guess, but you know what I mean.



After cutting it down a little and adding some holes around the edges, now it was time for the oven...and disaster. It wasn't until I was watching it in the oven that I remembered the plastic's tendency to curl while heating. I tried waiting it out like the instructions recommended, but it was a big sheet and it just kept curling as it shrunk. When it started to fold on top of itself, I attempted to bend it back in place, but it wasn't working. It folded into a weird mushroom shape and wasn't going flat, so I pulled it out of the oven in defeat. Having a useless piece of warped and partially shrunk plastic, I got a little frustrated...


Thus concluded my Slinky Dink experiment for the night. I couldn't bring myself to draw another one, but a few nights later I decided to do some less ambitious projects. I was curious how stamps would work, so I guess it wasn't a total waste:






No comments:

Post a Comment